Friday, March 13, 2009

You Ate What!

Last night I took a page right out of the Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern or No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain play calling book and tried some of Mekoryuk's finest delicacies.

Nathan and Sandra (pastor and wife/co-worker) invited me over for dinner and we had some amazing battered trout, rice, homemade bread and left over musk ox steak. All delicious and very palatable and then...

"You want to try alkdfjlasgasjljks (I just type random letters to represent Cupig Eskimo language because it sounds like clearing a loogie from your throat)" What that unintelligible word meant was boiled Musk Ox Asshole in hot seal oil...

"You want some musk ox asshole?"

I replied "I'll try anything once."

I didn't want to offend anyone, I was a guest.

I didn't have my camera so I didn't take a picture. But I can try to explain it.
It was bloody, and veiny and looked like a pulsating steaming oyster type mass with an inside out eyeball crossed with a koosh ball feel. All the inner folds and of the colon were shiny and sparkling with seal oil. It came in a little dish with lots of speckles of particular matter and indiscriminate bloody parts inside a clear vitreous like gel...

"Slurp Slurp Gulp." Oddly enough it tasted like oysters too. Except with that unmistakable flavor element that comes from the primary function of the colon to remove the last particles of shit and expel it to the great beyond. Yes oysters + a slight twinge of large ungulate shitsmell. Yum...

Since I did such a good job with that they then gave me some trout eyeballs to see how far this would go.

"Shhhhhlurp mmmGulp." Down she went. Fishier, gooey, less chewy. And tasted just like you would imagine fish eyeballs tasting.

"That was actually pretty good." I said...and they weren't as bad as the previous dish.

Wash it down with a little tang to really give it that cultural authentic feel.

I've eaten guinea pig surprise in Peru, choral reef fish in fiji, but musk ox asshole and fish eyes takes the cake. What a dinner!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMFAO!
haha, this post made me laugh!
shoot..your sounding like andrew zimmern, all that yucky food that he eats..good update:)

Randall H. Sloot said...

Freeze and bring me a doggy bag next time... if there is a next time.


Kale%20Iverson
Quantcast