Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Blowout!

Whoooooo HOOOOOOOooooo. Old mother nature just blew her nose hard across the Kuskokwim delta, winds reached over 65mph last night. As I walked home last night at 6:35 I was getting hit so hard with wind and snow that I kept falling over. This was extremely funny to me and caused me to laugh out loud. I also couldn't see more than a foot in front of me. So there I am walking through a blizzard (50 yards) laughing my ass off blindly sinking through the snow and falling over when bam! I stepped off a snow drift and tumbled down on my ass laughing histerically.

As I lay in the snow I looked up and stared straight into the world being torn apart above me. A smile swept across my face and I picked my ass up and walked the remaining 10 yards to the safety of my little apartment now completely soaked with wet wet snow.

This morning however was beautiful. A waning moon gleaming in the sky and giant snow drifts hard packed all around. I will attempt to make it to Anchorage today for my ASSEC special education conference and two day vacation. Yes flying across the Bering Sea on friday the 13th has crossed my mind. All I really want is to make it there, after a week and a half of a reduced staff and of carrying the high school wing on my back has really instilled a sense of purpose in this very very very earned respite.

I can't wait to be around restaurants, and shops, and receive text messages on my cell phone, and basically feel normal for a week. These things that will all annoy me after much longer than a week but after a month in the barren January/February arctic isolation I need to be there. I'm going to try and go skiing on thursday or friday at Alyeska in Girdwood, a place I've been wanting to visit for a while as I hear there are hippies to be found. And Friday night I'm meeting some friends to go see HELL's BELLES an all chick ACDC cover band. I've seen them once before on a new years eve and they were awesome.

So if mr. winter would only cooperate once more I could get the heck outta here and give it a whirl.

Here's to safe travels!

No comments:


Kale%20Iverson
Quantcast