Sunday, January 11, 2009

Weekend Update

I am almost better. My throat has ceased to feel like fire. My voice is back to its old nasally science teacher goodness. Despite this nasty little cough and what not I feel all together much better. I can honestly say though, I've been on cold medication for about 5 days straight up until today and it does feel nice to be clear headed.

Musical Artist of the Week: One good part about cold and flu medication is that when I listened to this week's music gods drip floating tones across the fields of my dreams, I felt like I was living their music as soundtracks in my mind as I drifted in and out of various states of awakedness (not a real word). The band is AIR the French electro/psychedelic/hypnotic everything amazing in the universe wrapped up into one moment stopped in time band. I have 4 out of their 5 major albums (in chronological order) "Moon Safari (1998)" then "10,000 Hz (2001)" then "Talkie Walkie (2004)" and now their most recent "Pocket Symphony (2007)." I don't have the "Virgin Suicides Soundtrack" although I've heard it and it is out of control. There really isn't any way to describe their sound but it always has a pretty sedated feel (much like a TheraFlu fuzzyness) and lots of airy fluffy delayed strings and constant hypnotic drums as well as a slowed down funky bass line and mostly some sort of mantra like lyric bordering on insanity like "Kelly Watch the Stars." Not sound like your cup of tea? Well you need to try some new tea then daaahling. One that tastes like something between Sigur Ros and the Beta Band with a dash of Daft Punk and Massive Attack thrown in for good measure.

Weather On Nunivak:
Its freaking cold, who cares anyways, I was inside the whole time, in fact the thought of being outside is so foreign to me that I may remove this segment of the update all together because its getting boring.

Old Person Phrase of the Week:
"That'll put hair on your chest" I know this is supposed to mean that something is hard, or rough or tough to take and get down your craw or gullet or what not and it will make you a man, but the funny thing is that nothing, save time and a few select hormones can actually do this so its always struck me as hilarious when people say it (usually old cowboys when referring to some bootleg hooch or more recently by people referring to a strong cup of joe).

Personal Art Update:
I tried to draw this weekend, I tried to write song lyrics, I tried to practice the ukulele, the only thing that seemed to make any sense was my blanky and the couch so I can say that I have been blocked creatively a bit. I was hoping all the emotion of being home would really create some good song material but alas, it did not.

Fitness Update: Unfortunately the sickness also meant no yoga this last week. With 4 full days of PE, open gym basketball, and maybe a yoga tossed in there, I'm really hoping to get back on the health train. Luckily eating nothing but cold meds, chicken soup and tea for 6 days effectively removed the cute little buddha belly I had grown over christmas break.

The Future: Scares me first of all, but also has Never has it been so up in the air. My big job opportunity back in Washington is about as unsure as it could be, I'm starting to feel more and more exhausted with teaching in general, and with the big Europe trip and the beautiful endless joy of Washington summer, I'm starting to come around to the idea that it might be ok if I didn't have an "AWESOME" job. There are worse things in life then substitute teaching and working some odd jobs on the side. I don't even know where I'm gonna live, but I do know that I can't wait to go home and just relax my brain for a while.

Lastly But Not Leastly:
I did put comment moderation on my blog last week. I just want to make sure that everything happening on this place is a positive and good thing and there is a lot more I could say on the topic but I'll just leave it at the fact that this is my thing, even though I share it with you, its not a place for anything more than what it is, a place to think and share and express and really to document and record my life. As improbable and amazing as it is that you all have seemed to join me in this endeavor sometimes I forget who and why I do this blog for.

Radiate Warmth is for me. Period. Its where I keep track of my life, and remind myself to be a good person, because unlike some people, I have to work really hard to stay positive sometimes. By sharing life with all of you in this fashion I re affirm the positive qualities of life that keep me sane and keep me whole. Its not to say that this blog is the center of my universe (as we all know it goes away rather quickly when I'm home on breaks) or that I am even a good person, it just simply means that I'm trying and that when the going gets tough I need a healthy way to keep myself on track so that I don't fall into the paths of my personality that will eventually lead me to a cynical, negative, and dark place.

My biggest hope is that if I can somehow stay positive for long enough, and document it, then maybe when I'm long gone I can at least say "HAAAAAAAHA! See! It can be done. You can be happy despite yourself." And thats what will be left. If not, at least I tried.

I do want that for you. I want you to be happy. Thats the whole point right? (if you believe thats our right to be...happy that is). I want everyone to feel good, to be at ease, to relax, to help out and feel loved, to make a difference if you can, to work hard and play too, and all that awesome life stuff, I want that for you, I want you to be here cuz this is it, I think we all want that.

Because this is it!

No comments:


Kale%20Iverson
Quantcast