Thursday, March 18, 2010

Drama Drama Drama

This week has been all drama. Kids goin down left and right. Threats of semi gang like beat downs, pill popping and smokin dope in the bathroom not to mention sexual harrassment, IEP's and suspensions galore...and thats just the students. Then you got all the crazy backdoor teacher stuff going on and I can officially say that I have seen my fair share of drama behind the scenes at school this week all the while being not involved in any of it.

I realized today that my last two jobs might lend me more to a new profession someday. In Alaska I basically got a crash course in teaching every subject, fixing computers, writing IEP's, implementing special education, staffing issues and management, budget planning, scheduling and all sorts of counseling and curriculum.

Now in my bizarre Title 1 position in a mostly poor urban school I have got to see a whole new side of education. Lately my job has been a constant balance of relationships. Balancing the counselor's recommendations, with the principals oversights, with the over 15 teachers with whom I support and work with every day as well as the struggling students that I have to try and build back up to functional. I am truly behind the scenes of an entire school and it is daunting, fascinating and very very very frustrating.

And to think, I used to be just a biology teacher.

I don't know where I should steer the next steps of my career. I don't want to be a political pawn and micromanaging nightmare like principals have to be. I don't know if I can go back to just teaching science. I don't want to be a counselor or really a special ed teacher any more. I wonder if I could just be a teaching consultant and get hired privately to go into classes or schools and help them break down whats going on in their school. The outside perspective is really weird and sometimes extremely important.

Yes officially it is almost spring break too. I think they named it that because its finally spring and we are all about to break.

This weekend I'll be house sitting as my parents go to Peoria for Mariners spring training. I'm gonna go see a Peninsula High Baseball game after work tomorrow and after that I dunno.

I'm feeling disconnected from some of my friends lately. Hope to see them soon. This working full time thing is whack.

Love

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"lend me more to a new profession someday"

so good to hear you finally figured that out! Sooner rather than later hopefully would be the next beneficial realization.

Anonymous said...

Learn to walk before you run, Grasshopper.

Anonymous said...

COME BACK TO ALASKA!!!!! [ahemm, NUNIVAK to be specific!]

Anonymous said...

Oh dang mr i! that's prettttttttty bad!! well hope you enjoy the rest of the school year!..ttfn!

Unknown said...

got that right... come back to alaska... lol jk sup iverson! no reason to when you dont have the best student ever! <---me! lol jk jk. well hope all works out for you.


Kale%20Iverson
Quantcast